As members of the Princeton Astrophysical Sciences community, we will treat each other with respect, dignity, and professionalism, such that our work is productive.
We work to create an inclusive environment in which any individual or group can be and feel welcomed, respected, supported, and valued to fully participate, regardless of gender identity, sexuality, nationality, disability, or racial, socio-economic and religious background.
We commit to sustain an environment free of misconduct and harassment, enabling and supporting all community members to do their best work.
We adopt these Ground Rules to promote respectful department discussions.
Climate Committee for Equity and Inclusion
This department committee works to improve equity and inclusion in our department, by assessing the climate, making recommendations for improvement, and tracking actions. Our charges can be found here: at this link.
The following are current members of the committee, composed of students, post-docs, staff, and faculty:
Jo Dunkley (chair, faculty), Josh Winn, Michael Strauss (ex-officio as dept chair)
Roohi Dalal, Goni Halevi (grad students)
Sinclaire Jones, Satuye Lacayo (undergrads)
Polly Strauss (staff)
Rémy Joseph, Allison Strom(post-docs/research staff)
You can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach us individually. The group email goes to all committee members. To reach the members without including the Dept Chair and Director of Graduate Studies, contact email@example.com.
Previous committee members include Sean Johnson, Evan Schneider, Adrian Price-Whelan, Ahmad Nehmer (post-docs); Camille Liotine, Emma Louden, Juliana Pulsinelli (undergrads).
Department Climate Surveys
We ran our first department climate survey in Fall 2018 and produced a department-internal report in Spring 2019. This was discussed in town halls among cohorts in the department, and in department-wide discussions, and produced a set of actions that we continue to work on. A summary of the report and subsequent actions can be read here. We plan to repeat these surveys every two years.
We are committed to increasing the inclusivity of our department and have taken the following steps to do so:
- a pre-doctoral fellowship, which provides an extra year of preparation for promising graduate students from historically underrepresented backgrounds
- our Undergraduate Summer Research Program (USRP), for which applications outside Princeton are made through the National Astronomy Consortium (NAC)
- having a regular presence at annual meetings of the National Society of Black Physicists (NSBP), the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), and APS Conferences for Undergraduate Women in Physics (CUWiP)
- promoting a family-friendly work environment; our weekly colloquium is at 11 AM and no regular talk series runs after 4 PM
- regular post-doc lunches to allow open discussion and to encourage communication
- a series of ‘Outside Academia’ careers events to help department members pursue non-academic career paths
- supporting the activities of the Undergraduate and Graduate Women in Physics (WiP) groups
- adapting ‘morning coffee’ arXiv discussions to diversify participation and make them more welcoming for junior researchers
The Climate Committee welcomes comments and suggestions from members of the department. As well as the committee's direct email (firstname.lastname@example.org) you can use the Anonymous Google Form. This is anonymous but requires login to Google with your @princeton.edu email address. This is the link if you need to create a Princeton Google account. The form is monitored by the Committee Chair, and responses are by default shared with the members of the Climate Committee as listed above, unless requested otherwise. These department feedback mechanisms are not intended to displace any University policy or existing University-wide reporting mechanism.
Links to university and other resources
Princeton Women in Physics - https://wip.princeton.edu/
Princeton Undergraduate Women in Physics - https://phy.princeton.edu/department/women-physics
Princeton Graduate School Access, Diversity and Inclusion Team - https://gradschool.princeton.edu/diversity
Student Affinity Groups - https://gradschool.princeton.edu/diversity/student-resources/student-affinity-groups
University Centers and Offices - https://gradschool.princeton.edu/diversity/student-resources/university-centers-and-offices
Astronomy and Astrophysics outlist - https://astro-outlist.github.io
Princeton University Pre-Doctoral Fellowship Initiative - https://gradschool.princeton.edu/diversity/pre-doctoral-fellowship-initiative